RAHoLe 2017: Speakers
KEYNOTE: REDESIGNING ASSESSMENT FOR HOLISTIC LEARNING
SESSION 20th November 2017 9.30AM - 10.30AM
DR. PAULA HODGSON
Dr. Hodgson was one of the pioneers in promoting and supporting e-Learning in the Hong Kong. She has been working in higher education since 1997, and served the Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) for seven years. Then, she worked in University of Auckland in New Zealand. Competent in consulting with teaching academics, she has established excellent tracked records in supporting faculty from disciplines. In 2008, she put her educational theories to use when she taught in the University of Hong Kong using learning technologies including Web 2.0, her research focused on the blended mode of learning and assessment experiences for first-year university study. She placed high value on a learning-centred approach to teaching and on engaging learners in a way that challenges their preconceived ideas in achieving both intended and unintended learning outcomes. She received an approval rating of over 90 percent from her students in a teaching feedback questionnaire relating to teaching effectiveness.
Serving in Centre of Learning Enhancement and Research since September 2015, her work covers professional development, running a SMART assessment project which received two rounds of teaching development funding of a total MR$7,662,727 exploring assessment design and student learning experiences through assessment and programme assessment. She advocates the use of flipped learning with peer instruction in class as an effective engaging teaching and learning strategies in the university. Currently, she is the co-principle investigator of the following joint-university Teaching and Learning project 2016-19 funded by the University Grants Committee in Hong Kong:
• ‘Coding, Design, and Global Involvement: Engaging Students in Multi-domain Active Learning Through the Creation of Mobile Apps and an Apps Resource Centre (ARC)’;
• ‘Augmenting Physical Learning Spaces with Location-based Services Using iBeacon Technology for Innovative Learning and Teaching’;
• ‘Enhancing learning outcomes for students through a data-driven review of the 4-year curriculum in UGC funded programs’.
Dr. Hodgson was invited to provide talks to tertiary education in Hong Kong, Vietnam, and visitors of scholars from China and Germany. In addition, she is an ongoing reviewer for Higher Education, Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education, Computers and Education, Education Research International, the World Conference on Educational Media and Technology (EDMEDIA), and the Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia (HERDSA) conference. Her research publications cover peer assessment, using learning technologies for teaching, learning and assessment, outcome-based education, and service leadership. Current research interest is pedagogies in Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) as she has attained distinguish results in MOOCs offered in Harvard Law School, Harvard University Graduate School of Education, The University of Melbourne and the University of Hong Kong. Her selected publications can be viewed at http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Paula_Hodgson2/publications.
Keynote Forum :
Alternative Assessment in the Context of Redesigning Higher Education
AREA OF SPECIALISATION
- Economics, Business And Management ~ Economics, Business And Management ~ Operations Management ~ Process Measurements and Control - using scale theory specifically Rasch Measurement Theory in research and instrument construction
- Social Science ~ Social Science ~ Psychology ~ Other Psychology n.e.c - Testing and Assessment in Educational Psychology (Building & Construction tests, instruments and surveys)
- Natural Science ~ Mathematical Sciences ~ Applied Statistics ~ Statistical Computing - "Application of Statistics in Educational Research. Large Data Analyses in research and consultancy using SPSS.
- Natural Science ~ Mathematical Sciences ~ Mathematics and Statistics for Science and Engineering ~ Social Sciences and Humanities - Data Analysis & SPSS
- Natural Science ~ Mathematical Sciences ~ Applied Statistics ~ Sampling and Survey Techniques - analyses of large data from survey used in nation wide research/studies
- 2013 Asia Pacific Journal for Educators and Education
- 2013 UUM
- 2012-2013 ADVISOR/CONSULTANT, LIBRARY, IIUM
- 2007-2011 AERA(American Educational Research Association)
- 2009-2011 Board of Governors, IIUM Lower Education Sdn Bhd
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
13-12-2012 : Quality Award . LIBRARY, IIUM - University level.
16-10-2011 : Quality Award . Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia - University level.
23-10-2009 : Quality Award . INSTED - University level.
17-02-2009 : Award for 25 Years of Service . IIUM - University level.
EXPERT FORUM: ALTERNATIVE ASSESSMENT: VOICES FROM THE FIELD
This forum features excellent researchers-practitioners who have been practicing holistic assessment approaches in various disciplines. The panel will share their experiences in designing and implementing holistic assessment approaches as well as the issues and challenges they encounter in the processes. Participants of this interactive forum will have insights on how to design and implement holistic assessment and practical implications of embedding holistic assessments in their own fields.